My Physio Perth’s shoulder physios are experts in shoulder pain treatment Perth. The shoulder is incredibly complex, connecting our upper limb to our body and allowing movement in three degrees of freedom.
The shoulder’s flexibility is considered its best attribute, however it also renders it susceptible to injury due to its lack of stability. An adequate balance of strength and flexibility of the muscles around the shoulder joint is considered crucial to ensure normal, pain free function.
Most people are unaware that the shoulder complex consists of three joints; the Glenohumeral Joint (ball and socket), Acromioclavicular Joint (ACJ) and Scapulothoracic Joint (shoulder blade). Problems with the muscles, joint, tendons, ligaments or cartilage of any of these joints can lead to pain and reduced mobility. Ensure you seek qualified shoulder treatment Perth from My Physio’s Sorrento physiotherapists.
Do you want relief from shoulder pain? Book online and feel better today with expert shoulder treatment by our experienced physiotherapists who are amongst the highest qualified in the world.
Sporting endeavours are a common cause of shoulder pain and dysfunction.
Those involved in sports requiring repetitive shoulder motion such as throwing, bowling and swimming subject their shoulder to extreme forces which can result in overuse injuries. Weakness or imbalance of the muscles of the shoulder girdle will hasten this process. Overuse injuries present as pain which gradually increases and begins to impede athletic performance.
Contact sports can result in traumatic shoulder injuries such as dislocations, muscle contusions (corks) and ACJ injuries. It is difficult and sometimes impossible to prevent such injuries but immediate management is essential.
Incorrect technique at the gym or repetitive tasks such as painting are also common culprits of shoulder pain. Sometimes no known cause can be identified as is the case in those suffering from Frozen Shoulder.
Shoulder pain can also be the result of referred pain from the neck or upper back. Don’t delay in seeking leading shoulder pain treatment Perth from My Physio Sorrento near Hillarys.
- AC joint injury: The acromioclavicular joint is formed by the end of the collar bone and the shoulder blade. It is susceptible to injury from a fall on the elbow, shoulder or outstretched arm. Movement results in pain, especially when trying to lift the arm above the head or across the body. Mild AC joint injuries will heal with rest, while more severe injuries may require immobilisation or surgery. At My Physio Perth we can help with regaining strength and mobility post injury.
- Shoulder dislocation: Dislocations are common in contact sports and result in the arm slipping from the shoulder socket. Shoulder dislocations result in acute pain and temporary disfigurement. It is essential to relocate or pop the shoulder back in immediately. Follow up physiotherapy treatment at My Physio Perth’s Sorrento clinic near Hillarys is recommended to regain strength and attempt to prevent re-injury. Surgery may be required in some cases and your Physiotherapist will be sure to recommend you to a Specialist if required.
- Rotator Cuff: The Rotator Cuff muscles assist with stability of the shoulder but their tendons are prone to impingement and wear and tear. In younger people, impingement of these tendons results in shoulder pain, especially when raising the arm. The Sub Acromial Bursa can also be impinged which results in similar symptoms. Rotator Cuff tears are common in middle aged people and tend to result from long term wear. These tears can occur suddenly due to trauma or develop gradually but ultimately they result in pain and an inability to lift the arm out to the side.
- Subacromial bursitis: Inflammation of the subacromial bursa can cause considerable shoulder pain and often coexists with rotator cuff tendinopathy and rotator cuff tears.
- Frozen shoulder: Inflammation and adhesions of the shoulder capsule can result in “adhesive capsulitis”, more commonly known as frozen shoulder. Unfortunately there is no consensus as to the cause of frozen shoulder but the restriction in the joint capsule leads to reduced movement and significant pain. My Physio Perth’s Sorrento physio clinic are experts in assessment and shoulder pain treatment Perth, including frozen shoulder.
My Physio Perth will conduct a thorough assessment of your condition in order to fully understand the origin of your pain. Our goal is to reduce your pain, restore strength and normal function. Importantly, we always aim for a full rehabilitation, reducing the risk of recurrence in the future.
Early diagnosis and treatment is the key to a fast recovery and reducing the chance of your problem becoming chronic.
Shoulder Pain Treatment Perth
My Physio Perth are experts in shoulder pain treatment Perth. We offer a wide range of services depending on your individual presentation and preference, ranging from massage to manipulation and dry needling. We aim to help you return to normal, pain free function as soon as possible.
- Massage: Muscle tension, spasms or fatigue can all benefit from targeted massage therapy. My Physio Sorrento will work with you to help reduce pain and increase function.
- Joint mobilisation and manipulation: Manual therapy is always a major component of treatment at My Physio Perth. Joint mobilisation and manipulation can be a powerful technique to reduce pain and improve function.
- Taping: Taping can be a powerful method of providing support and easing pain in the acute phase. The Physiotherapists at My Physio Perth’s Sorrento clinic, near Hillarys have developed taping techniques specifically for various types of shoulder pain.
- Dry needling: A modern form of acupuncture, dry needling can reduce pain and improve muscle function. It can help with muscle soreness and tension, joint stiffness and pain and overall well-being.
- Strength training: Specifically designed training programs which increase strength, correct posture and improve muscle tone can not only help with recovery, but also prevent further injury.
- Post operative rehabilitation: Post operative rehabilitation is crucial for a full recovery. At My Physio Sorrento, near Hillarys we have developed excellent professional relationships with leading Perth surgeons and will ensure the line of communication remains open between patient, surgeon and Physiotherapist. We will guide you through the recovery process and back to your desired level of function.