If you have suffered a whiplash injury, ensure you receive expert whiplash treatment Perth from My Physio Sorrento. Whiplash is the term used to describe injuries sustained from a rapid acceleration/deceleration movement of the head and neck. During this undesired movement, the muscles, ligaments, joints and nerves of the neck are subjected to extreme stretching and compressive forces. Therefore whiplash can essentially be considered as a syndrome involving multiple sprains and strains of the structures in the neck.
Following a whiplash accident, it is not uncommon for neck pain to gradually increase over the subsequent two to three days. Pain can be sharp or dull in nature and can increase with movement or sustained postures. Occasionally the pain associated with whiplash injuries can radiate into the head, shoulder and arms. In extreme cases, people can experience weakness, dizziness, pins and needles or numbness.
Do you want relief from whiplash pain? Book online and feel better today with expert whiplash treatment by our experienced physiotherapists who are amongst the highest qualified in the world.
Whiplash is most commonly associated with motor vehicle accidents, especially those involving a rear-end collision. Ultimately whiplash injuries can result from any incident forcing the head and neck to snap forwards and backwards quickly. This can be seen in contact sports, skiing accidents and as a result of assault. My Physio Perth understand whiplash injuries and can provide effective whiplash treatment Perth.
- Cervical disc bulge: Discs are situated between your bony vertebrae, acting like shock absorbers to reduce stress on your spine. Disc injuries are common and can occur due to sudden movements or from long term postural stress. Disc injuries cause inflammation and pain and in extreme cases can irritate nearby spinal nerves. This can cause radiating arm pain, pins and needles and numbness. My Physio Perth’s Sorrento physiotherapists are experts in whiplash treatment Perth, including disc injuries and are happy to dispel myths such as the ‘slipped disc.’
- Facet joint sprain: Each of your vertebrae are connected to the one above and below by two joints named facet joints. These joints can be sprained, just like your ankle if you move in an awkward way. If the facet joints become inflamed, you will experience neck pain and limitation in movements, much like a sprained ankle.
- Muscle strain: The muscles in the neck are susceptible to strains and tears much like any other muscle in the body. This can result in pain and weakness.
- Ligament Sprain: The ligaments of the neck are susceptible to sprains and tears when subjected to extreme movements. This results in pain and instability.
My Physio Perth will conduct a thorough assessment of your condition in order to fully understand the origin of your pain. Our goal is to reduce your pain, and restore strength and normal function. Importantly, we always aim for a full rehabilitation, reducing the risk of recurrence in the future.
Early diagnosis and treatment is the key to a fast recovery and reducing the chance of your problem becoming chronic.
Whiplash Treatment Perth
The My Physio Perth physiotherapists have become experts in whiplash treatment Perth.
We offer a wide range of services, depending on your individual presentation and preference, ranging from massage to manipulation and dry needling. We aim to help you return to normal, pain free function as soon as possible.
- Massage: Muscle tension, spasms or fatigue can all benefit from targeted massage therapy. My Physio Sorrento will work with you to help reduce pain and increase function.
- Joint mobilisation and manipulation: Manual therapy is always a major component of treatment at My Physio Perth. Joint mobilisation and manipulation can be a powerful technique to reduce pain and improve function.
- Taping: Taping can be a powerful method of providing support and easing pain in the acute phase. The Physiotherapists at My Physio Perth’s Sorrento clinic, near Hillarys have developed taping techniques specifically for various types of neck pain.
- Dry needling: A modern form of acupuncture, dry needling can reduce pain and improve muscle function. It can help with muscle soreness and tension, joint stiffness and pain and overall well-being.
- Strength training: Specifically designed training programs which increase strength, correct posture and improve muscle tone can not only help with recovery, but also prevent further injury.
- Postural assessment and correction: Spinal posture is a major cause of back pain. At My Physio Perth we are experts in postural assessment and can provide postural advice to ease your pain. Corrective exercises can also help to prevent the development of future problems.