Sciatica Treatment Perth
Sciatica pain can be extremely uncomfortable so it’s not surprising that My Physio Sorrento’s physiotherapists regularly perform treatment for sciatica pain. We have extensive experience and training in sciatica treatment in Perth.
If you're suffering from sciatica pain, book online for sciatica treatment at My Physio Perth.
The Sciatic Nerve originates from the Lumbar spine (lower back) and runs through the buttock and down the back of the leg. When the Sciatic Nerve is compressed or irritated, it can cause low back pain and referred pain down the leg.
Other common symptoms of Sciatica include muscle spasm, weakness, pins and needles, and numbness. Symptoms can be constant or intermittent in nature and typically remain on one side of the body. It is often difficult to sleep, and mornings can be very uncomfortable.
Bending, lifting, sneezing, coughing, and prolonged sitting are common aggravating factors. It is often difficult to find positions of relief, but lying seems to be the most comfortable. Heat packs can also provide much needed relief from the symptoms of Sciatica. See My Physio Perth for relieving sciatica treatment Perth.
Do you want relief from sciatic pain? Book online and feel better with expert sciatica treatment by our experienced physiotherapists.
Causes of Sciatica
Sciatica is not a condition in itself but is simply a description of symptoms which can be caused by various injuries of the lower back and buttock. These injuries can be acute such as those caused by trauma, or chronic due to long term wear and tear.
Acute episodes of Sciatica could result from high impact trauma such as motor vehicle accidents or sporting injuries. It is also common for low impact activities such as bending, lifting or twisting to cause Sciatic symptoms.
Chronic episodes of Sciatica are generally due to degeneration of the Lumbar Spine as a result of long term misuse.
Common Injuries Causing Sciatica
- Lumbar Disc bulge: Discs are situated between your bony vertebrae, acting like shock absorbers to reduce stress on your spine. Disc injuries are common and can occur due to sudden movements or from long term postural stress. Disc injuries cause inflammation and pain and in extreme cases can irritate nearby spinal nerves, leading to Sciatica. My Physio Perth are experts in sciatica treatment Perth, including the treatment of Lumbar disc injuries and are happy to dispel myths such as the ‘slipped disc.’
- Spinal degeneration: As we age, we develop wear and tear of the discs, joints, and bones of the spine. This can lead to narrowing of the spinal canal (stenosis) through which the spinal nerves travel and result in nerve impingement and ultimately Sciatica.
- Piriformis Syndrome: The Piriformis muscle originates from the tail bone and attaches to the femur in order to rotate and stabilize the hip joint. Because the sciatic nerve runs next to, or sometimes through the Piriformis, muscle, tension or strain of the muscle can result in Sciatic Nerve irritation.
- Spinal dysfunction: Spinal misalignment and/or poor posture can result in irritation of the sciatic nerve and may cause Sciatica.
Assessment of Sciatica
My Physio Perth will conduct a thorough assessment of your condition in order to fully understand the origin of your pain. Our goal is to reduce your pain, and restore strength and normal function. Importantly, we always aim for a full rehabilitation, reducing the risk of recurrence in the future.
Early diagnosis and treatment is the key to a fast recovery and reducing the chance of your problem becoming chronic.
Sciatica Treatment Perth
My Physio Perth in Sorrento have become experts in sciatica treatment Perth.
We offer a wide range of services, depending on your individual presentation and preference, ranging from massage to manipulation and dry needling. We aim to help you return to normal, pain free function as soon as possible.
- Massage Muscle tension, spasms or fatigue can all benefit from targeted massage therapy. My Physio Sorrento will work with you to help reduce pain and increase function.
- Joint mobilisation and manipulation: Manual therapy is always a major component of treatment at My Physio Perth. Joint mobilisation and manipulation can be a powerful technique to reduce pain and improve function.
- Taping: Taping can be a powerful method of providing support and easing pain in the acute phase. The Physiotherapists at My Physio Perth’s Sorrento clinic have developed taping techniques specifically for various types of sciatic pain.
- Dry needling: A modern form of acupuncture, dry needling can reduce pain and improve muscle function. It can help with muscle soreness and tension, joint stiffness and pain and overall well-being.
- Strength training: Specifically designed training programs which increase strength, correct posture and improve muscle tone can not only help with recovery, but also prevent further injury.
- Postural assessment and correction: Spinal posture is a major cause of back pain. At My Physio Perth we are experts in postural assessment and can provide postural advice to ease your pain. Corrective exercises can also help to prevent the development of future problems.